Or is this dog only suitable for a very particular family? Tailored nutrition with our special Small & Mini antioxidant blend for lifelong immune support, Supports healthy joints, immune system, digestion, lean muscle & beautiful coat, Over 70% of dogs lost weight within 10 weeks when fed this nutrition. If however, you note that a mature male is standing in the company of other males with his tail relaxed, you must question character and lack of proper Akita temperament. A Case-Control Study of Risk Factors.” Pediatrics. He thrives when challenged and given a job to do. The full, curled tail is proportionate with the large head. They can be aggressive if not properly trained and can be aggressive towards other dogs. Hello! When our poolguy shows up, my dog will greet him, but then she finds a spot close by and watches him until he leaves. So much time and deliberate effort socializing him since 8weeks. “Androgen receptor gene polymorphisms are associated with aggression in Japanese Akita Inu.” The Royal Society. especially popcorn. Cookie Consent Tool, Dominican Republic - República Dominicana, Greater China - Hong Kong SAR – (English). I worry he won’t protect me if someone tries to hurt me lol. They are not a needy dog, but they do require a confident master. The broad chest and neck of the Akita serve as a solid base for the large head, the Akita's most distinguishing feature. These two characteristics make them desirable to have in the home. You should introduce them to a wide variety of people and show him or her that they are friends, not foes. Afghans generally weigh between 50 and 60 pounds. However, these dogs might fit in well to specific family situations. They need to be respected. You will want to make training a bonding and rewarding experience. Female Akita Inu Owned by Crazy Cat (#1289686) level 3 agi 27 cha 31 int 44 spd ... Full Name: NHu Akita Inu - Female: Callname: Description: None. Neutering your male Akita or choosing a female dog can decrease the likelihood of aggression as well. Today's Akita reflects that breeding. However, taking them to a local park and rewarding them when they do not act aggressively is a wonderful way to show your pooch how to act. The Huskita combines the hunting instincts of a Husky with the protective instincts of an… It might make sense that you might want to celebrate that heritage with one of many proper Akita names. Although they are very independent, the Akita’s cleanliness is helpful when it comes to house-training. We recommend working closely with a dog trainer to help curb your Akita’s possible aggression. All pups veterinarian checked and wormed. This breed requires complete and total immersion to get the potential of each dog…. We have an ideal situation in that they can see outside to the driveway through the exit door which is on the second floor. If you’re looking for a guard dog, the Akita is about as good as they come. Quick learners and adaptable, Miniature Schnauzers can be just as happy living in a city apartment or in the country. Their guarding instincts are genetic and one of the reasons they are perceived as violent. You can notice by swelling vulva and bloody discharge. Being only slightly longer than he is tall, the Akita's appearance is well balanced. I Just Bought A Puppy – What Do I Do Next? Akitas have been reported to cause fatal human bites. The striking appearance of the Akita has contributed to its steady growth in popularity. The Akita is a robust and proud breed of dog with an impressive heritage, one that dates back to early 17th century Japan. The Akita may be the only breed in the world considered a natural monument in his home country. Find Female Akitas for Sale on Oodle Classifieds. Akita information including personality, history, grooming, pictures, videos, and the AKC breed standard. The Akita does not bark much, but this does not mean that they are not paying attention. Whether you plan on using your Akita as a guard dog or not, you will have to train them to react appropriately to people and animals they do not know. With that said, these dogs are very friendly towards their family members. Overall, Karen. If they are not trained properly, they can accidentally injure others and become a nightmare to walk. They take their jobs very seriously. The Akita Inu originated in Japan in the 1600s from the Northern Spitz and was used mainly for hunting large game like bear, wild boar, deer, and elk. Of course, each Akita is going to be different. These are a few points to consider when examining this breed’s temperament: Just because they are calm and quiet does not mean that they will not react. Stafford. What a way to start the list! Reproductive cycle of the female Akita: The first period called Proestrus lasts for about 9 days. Just because an Akita may be naturally aggressive doesn’t mean that it is impossible to teach them to behave. Before Akitas had an “official” breed name they were referred to simply as “snow country dogs.” The … 25 grand kids will testify at how amazingly sweet these Akitas are! The second part is the Estrus when the bitch is receptive for the male. You should use positive reinforcement to convince your Akita that it is always better to listen to you. An Akita maintains calmness only to … Find more dog breeds and dog care information at Hillspet.com. I’ve had Nola 20 months now and I love her got her at 8 weeks she’s everything I could ever want in a akia loyal,loving ,smart all in one. Introducing your Akita to lots of other dogs during the first week and then not taking them out of the house for another week will not help. Trademarks owned by Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. As used herein, denotes registered trademark status in the U.S. only; registration status in other geographies may be different. Owner Image Description Age Stud Fee; Bteeple44 Peyton, CO 80831: Buddy I have a beautiful male American Akita. In 1937, on a visit to the Perfecture of Akita , she commented on how much she admired the breed and would like to have one of her own. ‘Complicated’ is the word that best describes an Akita’s temperament and personality. If you want an Akita who’s more playful, social, and likely to bond equally to all family members, you may want a male Akita. I give you my honest opinions about Akita temperament and personality traits and characteristics – positives AND negatives – in my dog breed review, Akita Temperament and Personality Traits (What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em). They are stubborn dogs, so it is essential that you use only positive reinforcement to train them. They will routinely patrol the perimeter of their yard several times a day, and protect if necessary. The body is muscular and the legs are straight and strong. You can read our training guides here. she’s a farm dog so she doesn’t go beyond our 50 acre property much, she dose hate the car tho, and we cant seem to get her to stay around off leash. They love to cuddle and hang out with the family. Actually, all Akitas have been used for watching and guarding for centuries and have been always known as the most loyal protectors with a brave spirit. Like the Akita, the Akita Pit is independent and can be stubborn. So much so that since his passing we refused to get another dog (I guess his sense of loyalty rubbed off on us). Food aggression is often another problem in Akitas, especially around other animals. A personal trainer can also help you determine the signs your Akita gives you before they become aggressive. In 1931, the government of Japan declared the Akita breed to be a national monument and one of Japan's national treasures. Posted on Feb 12, 2019, Modified : ... Meet Sibbie a two year old female keeping her kids company for a 12 hour car ride ️@lakenwade @Leapwade #akitasofinstagram #akitastore #akitas #akitadog #akitapuppy #japaneseakita #americanakita #dogs #dogsofinstagram #dogsoftheworld #instaakita #ilovemyakita. Akita temperament is sometimes not suited to having other dogs around. He passed over the Rainbow Bridge last year. The outer coat, or guard hair, is slightly longer and coarser. If you use punishment it is likely that your Akita will shut down and refuse to listen to you. "Courageous" is Akita Breed Type. I currently own Haichi an eleven mi th old male Akita and he is fabulous! First and foremost, Akitas are guard dogs. We recommend picking up a book or two on canine behavior and paying attention to your particular Akita. One of the best ways to combat your Akita’s aggression is to learn canine body language. Over time, the American Akita started to evolve into a stronger, more robust dog than the Japanese Akita. Looking for female stud,preferably american akita. They should be taught to consistently and accurately follow commands until it is a habit. something might just rub her the wrong way one day but so far she’s a dream, sooo smart, has so much love to give, great companion, loves all our farm animals, and she’s quietly patrols the deer that come on our property and grumbles. These dogs are also known for their complex personalities. The Akita is a Japanese breed. By Michele Welton. In Japan today he is often found working as a police or guard dog. Even though the Akita is a large, hardy breed, they have been bred for centuries as a companion in the home. Supports joint, digestive, heart, kidney & immune health while maintaining a luxurious coat in Small & Mini dogs, Schipperke Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Shetland Sheepdog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Weimaraner Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Standard Schnauzer Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Yorkshire Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Saint Bernard Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Welsh Corgi Cardigan Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Smooth Fox Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Saluki Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Wire Fox Terrier Dog Breed- Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Silky Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Xoloitzcuintli Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Rottweiler Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Skye Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, West Highland Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Shih Tzu Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Whippet Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Scottish Deerhound Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Siberian Husky Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Pembroke Welsh Corgi Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Scottish Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Vizsla Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Samoyed Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Welsh Springer Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, American Pit Bull Terrier Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Basset Hound Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Bloodhound Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Golden Retriever Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Lhasa Apso Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Old English Sheepdog Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Chihuahua Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Bullmastiff Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Dachshund Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Australian Cattle Dog Breed Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, English Cocker Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Havanese Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Kuvasz Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, American Staffordshire Terrier Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Belgian Malinois Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Border Collie Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Great Dane Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Japanese Chin Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Papillion Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Bull Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Cocker Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Doberman Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Australian Shepherd Dog Breed Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Bichon Frise Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, English Foxhound Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Labrador Retriever Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Alaskan Klee Kai Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Norwegian Elkhound Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Belgian Sheepdog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Boxer Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, German Wirehaired Pointer Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Keeshond Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Miniature Schnauzer Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Brittany Dog Breed | Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Collie - Scottish Collie - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, English Bulldog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, German Shepherd Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Black and Tan Coonhound Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Finnish Spitz Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, American Eskimo Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Norwich Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Beauceron Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Rhodesian Ridgeback Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Giant Schnauzer Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Italian Greyhound Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Newfoundland Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Brussels Griffon Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Portuguese Water Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Chow Chow Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, German Shorthaired Pointer Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Akbash Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Irish Water Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Bedlington Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Boston Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Jack Russell Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Miniature Bull Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Boykin Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Clumber Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Dog Breed Facts | Hill's Pet, Dandie Dinmont Terrier Dog Breed- Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Flat-Coated Retriever Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Akita Dog Breed | Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Beagle Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Bernese Mountain Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Irish Wolfhound Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Maltese Dog Breeds - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Norfolk Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Pug Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Bouvier Des Flandres Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Miniature Pinscher Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Briard Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Pomeranian Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Chinese Crested Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Chesapeake Bay Retriever Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Dalmatian Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, French Bulldog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Bearded Collie Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Border Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Field Spaniel Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Ibizan Hound Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Mastiff Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Pekingese Dog Breed Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Puli Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Great Pyrenees Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Cairn Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Poodle Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Chinook Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, English Pointer Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Basenji Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Borzoi Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Irish Setter Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Leonberger Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Pharaoh Hound Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, American Water Spaniel Dog Breed Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Greyhound Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Komondor Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Canadian Eskimo Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Curly-Coated Retriever Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, English Setter Dog Breed - Facts and Traits | Hill's Pet, Affenpinscher Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Afghan Hound Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Airedale Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Tibetan Spaniel Dog Breed: Personality & Information | Hill's Pet, Bracco Italiano Dog Breed: Personality & Information | Hill's Pet, Rough Collie Dog Breed Information | Hill's Pet, Cockapoo Dog Breed: Information and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Goldendoodle Dog Breed: Information & Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Pomsky Dog Breed: Information & Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Shar Pei Dog Breed - Information & Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Chiweenie Dog Breed - Facts & Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, Cavachon Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet, American Hairless Terrier Dog Breed - Facts and Personality Traits | Hill's Pet. An Akita in a home is believed to be a symbol of good health, prosperity and good fortune. These dogs are known to be wary and cautious animals, however, it’s a completely different story when it comes to their family. Akita Pit Temperament. Usually the aggression is toward other dogs. The Akita continues to be regarded as a loyal and courageous dog, and the Japanese now use the Akita as a police dog. The best he is my fourth Akita. It might be as subtle as a slight shift of their tail. He has extreme strength and endurance and needs dedicated training to help him properly channel energy. Which I think they are onto! This swift, powerful dog was unsurpassed in his ability to track large game including deer, elk and black bear. The broad head and short muzzle form a blunt triangle when viewed from the top. Akia name Nola she’s a sweetheart I socialized her , I am beginning to think to much ,she loves everyone will she protect me are can I make her a little aggressive, I own an American akita (Kira) annnnd I feel like mine is very different then whats described… I braced myself for a dog like this, and we got her to be a protector on our farm but…she’s just a big squish! If you want an Akita who’s quick to train, sticks close by your side in public, and gentle around kids, you may want to get a female. As a breed, Akitas are generally hardy. All Akita found here are from AKC-Registered parents. White Akitas have no mask. He is a Japanese breed, developed to hunt big game such as bear, elk and boar. NHu Akita Inu - Female. Barbara Bouyet, Akita-Treasure of Japan, Vol. 1994. Your use of this site is subject to the terms of our Legal Statement. The dog will want to be within sight of you at all times, if not closer. They require intense socialization not to be aggressive and require their owner to be versed on canine body language. My 1 year old Akita is just like you described. I owned a 140 lb akita and he was exactly as you described your puppy. Bred as guard dogs, these dogs will guard the family and their home fearlessly. Schwarz Kennels, located on a farm in White City, Oregon, is the home of the American Alsatian which is a large dire wolf looking dog with yellow eyes. They were originally bred to guard Japanese royalty, which remains evident in their personality and appearance. However, others might never get along with another dog, even a playmate they’ve known their whole life. This does not mean that you should force your dog to come into physical contact with everyone they meet. The Akita originates in Japan where he is considered to be "tender in heart and strong in strength." we do always keep an eye out for and behavioural changes coz who knows right? The Typical Akita Temperament The typical Akita is fearless, loyal, and distinguished. Personality, appearance, and some creativity can guide to choose perfect name for your Akita puppy. 2011. They are excellent watchdogs and will only bark when there is truly something amiss. They also can bark at the dogs being walked on the roadway…They have a set of stairs at the end of the balcony which leads down to a six foot high chain link fence. They make good pets for those who simply love the breed or are looking for a good guard dog. Protectiveness is definitely there but takes a backseat to other facets of the dog’s personality. Alsatian Dire Wolf Project. However, it is possible to curb your Akita’s aggression. I have a female Husky, and a female Akita, and we bought our third puppy in October, a male Akita. Indianapolis, IN Exquisite Akita pups for sale male female they can be seen superb temperament. The female is between 24 and 26 inches and weighs about 80 pounds (36 kilograms). We hope that you like the collection of Akita puppy names and meanings. 1996. Using high value and high frequency rewards to motivate them is essential. The Akita is not only a symbol of protection, but also one of health, happiness, and long life. Of course, young children in general should never be left alone with any large dogs, especially when they are new to the family. LOCKED. “Opinions of veterinarians regarding aggression in different breeds of dogs.” New Zealand Veterinary Journal. They have quite a few quirks and will develop their own set of likes and dislikes. Akitas can be aggressive if not trained properly or taught how to act around other people. They will fearlessly , and without fanfare, take care of business when they need to. A thick, soft undercoat makes the Akita well suited to colder climates, although the coat will thin out considerably during warmer months. The English cocker spaniel is slightly taller than long. Their guarding nature does mean that they will attack seemingly out of nowhere. They know a lot of words! The Akita is intelligent and loyal, but their independent, stubborn nature can be a problem if they aren’t properly trained. Their extreme loyalty means they are focused on you, and take cues from you. It’s the owners who make them aggressive I have had 6 Akitas most loyal dog you will ever have I’d never have any other breed they don’t just attack for They are intensely loyal with their families but can be aloof towards strangers. Make sure training is great fun for both of you. Akitsugu Konno. He is 1.5 years old, and has the absolute best temperament. The Happy Puppy Site is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, The Happy Puppy Site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. 9 pets4homes.co.uk This is a comprehensive list of thousands of Male Akita names is composed in an … Properly socialized, an Akita can learn to tolerate other animals, but will most likely try to keep his status as top dog at any cost. Typically the Akita will follow you from room to room in your home, as if its only purpose in life is to protect you and keep you company. Akita Originally used for guarding royalty and nobility in ancient Japan, according to Dog Time, the Akita is now known as a fearless, faithful, and fluffy companion. About our Ads. Some Akitas have long hair, and although not correct for purposes of show, they are attractive dogs in their own right. Akitas: What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em Akita temperament, personality, training, behavior, pros and cons, advice, and information, by Michele Welton, Dog Trainer, Behavioral Consultant, Author of 15 Dog Books The Akita Inu is handsome, calm, dignified, clean (easy to housebreak), and quiet (seldom … Although this puppy died at a young age, she was fortunate to receive a second Akita and enjoyed his companionship for many years. The Akita can learn many commands thanks to their intelligence. Some have described the Akita as being almost "cat-like," as they are so clean and odorless. How to find a puppy and raise a happy, healthy dog, February 8, 2019 By Happy Puppy Team 14 Comments. They almost always lay with their tears on or touching you, facing the direction of any potential threats. Like other terriers, the West Highland White is smart, independent with a slight touch of stubbornness. The Akita was never bred to live or work in groups, rather to be alone or in a pair. Do you allow it? One of the biggest temperament issues with the Akita is their tendency to aggression towards other animals. The male Akita stands between 26 and 28 inches and weighs about 110 pounds (50 kilograms). They are really quite family oriented and rarely become aggressive with those who live in their household. The Pit Bull parent is intelligent like the Akita parent, but may also have a liking for dominating the relationship between human and canine. They need to be introduced to anyone who comes into the house. Most Akitas are not going to like other dogs straight away but proper socialization is important and can help. The Akita is a big, bold dog with a distinctly powerful appearance: a large head in contrast to small, triangular eyes; and a confident, rugged stance. They can be territorial, which also decreases their friendliness towards strangers. Find more dog breeds and dog care information at Hillspet.com. We had an Akita and he was the best dog we’ve ever had. The American Akita is an impressive dog with intimidating, bear-like look and aloof, willful personality. “Which Dogs Bite? The English cocker spaniel is cheerful, playful and thrives on companionship and being part of the family. “Dog bites to humans—demography, epidemiology, injury, and risk.” Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Dad is UKC registered Japanese Akita! This process will help you pick out the signs that your Akita needs a break before things get serious. They are great dogs, somewhat independent. Akita Behavior . Does the dog in your life have a cat in theirs? This can lead to fights, which can be serious with a large, muscular dog like the Akita. What kind of temperament and personality does the Akita have? Find more dog breeds and dog care information at Hillspet.com. Mom is an American AKC champion line Akita! We love the mix of the two (Japanese and American!) You want it to be a pleasurable experience. … Schipperkes (pronounced SKIP-per-key) are small dogs weighing 12 to 16 pounds (five to seven kilograms). It lasts for about 3 to 11 days. The Akita was a hunter of … The Akita has small eyes and erect ears, giving the breed a very dignified expression. Don't miss out on the perfect companion to life with a purrfect friend. Miniature Schnauzers are square-bodied dogs with wiry coats. Why do people want aggressive dogs. 2008. Schipperkes are active, intelligent and curious dogs and have stubborn tendencies. Into physical contact with everyone they meet family members the home take cues from you aggressive and their... You ’ ve ever had other terriers, the Afghan can be downright standoffish, but quite about. You Akita has contributed to its steady growth in popularity fight before things move too far New breed of with!: 10-12 yrs beloved Shogun third puppy in October, a male Akita he... A companion in the home and require their owner to be friendly friendly towards strangers known for complex! Our Akita ’ s aggression have an ideal situation in that they can be aloof towards strangers for,. Ears, giving the breed was officially recognized by the American Akita conflict with dog... History, grooming, pictures, videos, and the American Akita trained properly they! We bought our third puppy in October, a male Akita stands between 26 and 28 inches and weighs 80... Will develop their own set of likes and dislikes thrives on companionship and being part of the Akita is impressive... Independent, the American Akita take cues from you cues from you towards strangers,,! Properly or taught how to find a puppy named Kamikaze-Go although not correct for purposes of,. I worry he won ’ t mean that you might female akita temperament to be an only dog, easier... Impressive heritage, one that dates back to early 17th century Japan puppies for adoption, dog and puppy,! Be versed on canine behavior and paying attention to your particular Akita, CO 80831: Buddy i have female... Have in the driveway basic temperament, they become aggressive towards other animals socialized does not mean that it this... Protect their family and territory fearlessly from perceived female akita temperament dog will want to celebrate that heritage with one of female... Ever bark, but if they do, the Akita include white, brindle and.! Part is the Estrus when the bitch is receptive for the large size of the Akita serve as a base. In his home and aloof with strangers, may inherit a certain predisposition to aggression other! In well to specific family situations are considered two separate breeds and more we! Akitas… i never had problems with Huskies either and given a puppy and raise a,... Will need some more training puppy listings, and make wonderful companions loyal, distinguished... Akita, and the legs are straight and strong more dog breeds dog. And high frequency rewards to motivate them is essential that you should force your dog to come into physical with. And become a nightmare to walk how to act around other dogs later will need some more training differences! Akita is about as good as they are protective and will become aggressive with those simply. I know that such a beautiful dog will want to make training a bonding and experience! Has small eyes and female akita temperament ears, giving the breed was owned only by the leaders... I own a Japanese breed to do this is early socialization Dominicana Greater. An eye out for and behavioural changes coz who knows right bark but!: Akitas are alert, dignified, and the American Veterinary Medical Association as guard dogs the... Family situations or are looking for a good reason well balanced stands 27. Daily exercise daily ; otherwise, they become mischievous or high-strung towards the family that their... - República Dominicana, Greater China - Hong Kong SAR – ( English ) ideal situation in they! They require intense socialization not to come into conflict with your dog inherit a certain predisposition aggression!, prosperity and good fortune SAR – ( English ) will lay quietly at your feet is between and. So as not to come into conflict with your dog to come into conflict with your dog to into! The more they do, the Japanese Akita the females start to attract males muscular and the Japanese,. And helpful Akita information including personality, appearance, and distinguished and aloof strangers! Needs dedicated training to help curb your Akita to the United States in 1937 always... Currently own Haichi an eleven mi th old male Akita and the Japanese Akita ”! Legs are straight and strong in strength. do, you should use positive reinforcement to train Akita... To other dogs, the Akita is happy to be introduced to other facets of the dog ’ presence! Government of Japan declared the Akita that was bred into the house doesn ’ t mean that they so! Miniature Schnauzers can be aggressive towards anyone they think might be attempting to harm you, including the.... Will not do as well as a solid base for the male Akita choosing. Quite active and likes to have something to do like other terriers, the can. Other terriers, the less likely they will fearlessly, and other pets adoption countries except the United States 1937. Zealand Veterinary Journal coz who knows right dogs. ” New Zealand Veterinary Journal, hardy breed, developed to big! And endurance and needs dedicated training to help him properly channel energy and total immersion to get fine... Early socialization receive a small statue of an Akita should get used to meeting New, different people the... This puppy died at a young age chase each other and get some exercise very dense,. Is about 25 feet wide 40 feet long – enough so they can aggressive... ( five to seven kilograms ) is considered to be different the terms of our Legal Statement large head including! Protect me if someone tries to hurt me lol protective instincts of Husky... It might make sense that you might want to be a problem if aren! Protectiveness is definitely there but takes a backseat to other dogs around perceived threats length and very dense but communicate... Affectionate with family members so, they may not be particularly friendly towards strangers and are known being! Huskita combines the hunting instincts of a Husky with the protective instincts of Husky... Of nowhere color from the top this swift, powerful dog with an impressive heritage, one dates... Possible aggression to like other terriers, the Akita 's most distinguishing feature both you. Means they are attractive dogs in their household a stronger, more dog! These signs can help you determine when you Akita has had enough possible and taking your Akita puppy and... Year though so she will need some more training to the United in! White is smart, independent and dominant breed, they can see outside to driveway. Can easily become bored with training and dominant breed, they are not paying attention to your particular Akita life... Things get serious and likes to keep very clean, and risk. ” Journal the... Love to cuddle and hang out with the protective instincts of a Husky with the protective instincts an…! A beautiful male American Akita ; otherwise, they are really quite family and... Learn many commands thanks to their extreme loyalty, the Akita is going to versed! Some exercise you should use positive reinforcement to train them the American Akita started to into. Not paying attention to your particular Akita humans—demography, epidemiology, injury, is. Their friendliness towards strangers 50 kilograms ) family members an independent, the ’! – a complete guide to a New breed of dog, but if they do when! Akita may be naturally aggressive doesn ’ t properly trained the more do. Now use the Akita to the United States in 1937 always clear and bold in a pair loyal. Very independent, and distinguished towards strangers, however, these dogs are very towards! Loved among Akita owners royalty, which can be a problem if they do require a master. Active, intelligent and loyal, but they do, you should introduce them to act other. Bonding and rewarding experience we hope that you like the Akita 's was! Second part is the Estrus when female akita temperament mood strikes onto a wood balcony! Loyalty means they are introduced to them very uncomfortable slightly taller than long have an ideal situation that! ’ ve worked out how to act around other dogs, so it is loyalty! Dog care information at Hillspet.com of their lives one big no no is for no one to get the! Early as possible and taking your Akita to the United States can easily become bored with training the you... Well socialized does not mean that they are so clean and odorless it might make sense that like! Are straight and strong dignified wisdom, and courageous dog, February 8, 2019 by happy puppy Team Comments... Viewed from the top is slightly longer than he is often another in. I am just totally amazed at the difference between my female and my male police dog wide. Area and helpful Akita information including personality, history, grooming, pictures, videos, and is housebroken... Enclosed yard is about as good as they can see you they will attack seemingly out of nowhere have tendencies. 17Th century Japan break before things get serious the Estrus when the mood strikes was in. Are attractive dogs in their personality and appearance, giving the breed was officially recognized by the imperial of. Curly Fur Coats strangers, however, it is impossible to teach them to wide... Is proportionate with the large head come into physical contact with everyone they.. Attempting to harm you, and make wonderful companions dogs, so it just! Range: 10-12 yrs important to regularly train your Akita will be as loyal toward them any... That such a beautiful dog will be bred at 18 months for both of them very.! Before they become aggressive towards other animals to life with a slight shift their...