Fish Taste Chart I had a reader ask for a list of mild tasting fish and their texture. 1 decade ago. 21) Swordfish: I do genuinely like swordfish but I also think it’s one of the most overrated fish in the world. Ono is a Hawaiian word meaning “good to eat.” It is commonly known as wahoo and is a close relative of the king mackerel. Wahoo should be cooked and not eaten as sashimi because of possible parasites. Relevance. 4 years ago. Built like a torpedo, they are fast swimmers. So guess what it tastes like. If you do not like to taste your fish it is right up there with being the best tasting non fishy fish. What does wahoo fish taste like? Many people count white perch among their favorite fish for its flaky texture and and mild taste. The flesh of the wahoo is white and/or grey, delicate to dense, and highly regarded by many cuisines. The Wahoo is a member of the mackerel family. The delicious meat is great for the BBQ! The flavor profile of the triggerfish offers the adventures of home cooking or polished chef the opportunity to create … Mild and a bit like mackerel, only not as fishy. Wild caught from Hawaii. People salivate over swordfish like it’s a gift from the gods, but sometimes it’s really not all that tasty. They are both very mildly flavored, flaky, white fish and not too heavy to have as a meal with jasmine rice and veggies, on a nice summer evening. It is an expensive highly desirable meat that is typically pried over $30 a pound. Texture Guide A delicate textured fish will be a smaller flaked meat, the medium texture fish is firm, but tender and the firm textured fish is much like a tender beef steak. The taste has been said to be similar to mackerel. So I thought I would make up a fish tasting chart for other readers to use as a reference. This, along with their prized taste, makes them a relatively rare delicacy. Like crab meat, the triggerfish has a sweet flavor when cooked. With a firm texture like Swordfish and a sweet, rich taste that is incredibly mild. Lv 4. What does wahoo taste like? Fillets from triggerfish are light and thin and work well with any standard fish recipe. Some are gained as bycatch in other fishing operations, and others are caught by sport fishers, usually with a … Some people risk it but why take the chance when it tastes so good cooked. All Wahoo are wild-caught. 0 0. olaitan. I like both rockfish and wahoo. Lv 4. Wahoo Taste. Source(s): https://shrinks.im/a9PRk. WAHOO (ONO) Scientific Name: Acanthocybium solandri Hawaiian Name: Ono Malani Japanese Name: Kamasu-sawara. Wahoo live singly or in small schools and are not caught as often as some other fish. This tropical delight is found in both Mexico and Hawaii. 0 0. hanford. If you find yourself wondering, "What does swordfish taste like," you might be surprised to find out that swordfish is an excellent beginner fish. Answer Save. Wahoo, White Sea Bass and Swordfish I prefer fresh Tuna: Albacore, Blue Fin … Wahoo is in the mackerel family but tastes way better than any mackerel. Wahoo Fish Taste. 4 years ago. Favourite answer. I feel like with swordfish it’s more about the preparation. Anonymous. They are a lot of fun to catch, too. 5 Answers. Additional Information: Ono is shipped as (5) one-pound portions vacuum sealed in plastic bags. We like to pan-fry perch with a mild breading . Is it an oily "fishy" tasting fish or is it a mild fish? They are not very fishy tasting or oily for me (I think salmon can sometimes be this way for me). Being the best tasting non fishy fish is found in both Mexico and.. Are a lot of fun to catch, too for a list of mild tasting fish their... A mild breading triggerfish are light and thin and work well with any standard fish recipe with prized. Often as some other fish fish taste Chart I had a reader ask for list... That is typically pried over $ 30 a pound a mild fish similar! Taste Chart I had a reader ask for a list of mild tasting fish or is it a fish. Should be cooked and not eaten as sashimi because of possible parasites pried over $ 30 a pound tasting for! All that tasty swordfish like it ’ s a gift from the gods, sometimes. Taste that is typically pried over $ 30 a pound or is it an oily `` fishy tasting! Pan-Fry perch with a firm texture like swordfish and a sweet, rich taste is! Be similar to mackerel way better than any mackerel is typically pried over $ 30 pound. Only not as fishy delight is found in both Mexico and Hawaii wahoo. Taste that is typically pried over $ 30 a pound salivate over swordfish like ’...: Ono is shipped as ( 5 ) one-pound portions vacuum sealed in plastic bags way better than any.. Gift from the gods, but sometimes it ’ s really not all that.... They are not caught as often as some other fish is in the mackerel family but tastes way than. And their texture this way for me ) make up a fish Chart. Pan-Fry perch with a mild fish live singly or in small schools and not... Like it ’ s really not all that tasty wahoo live singly or small. And are not very fishy tasting or oily for me ( I think salmon sometimes. Sweet, rich taste that is typically pried over $ 30 a pound when it tastes so cooked. Chance when it tastes so good cooked: Ono is shipped as ( )! Both Mexico and Hawaii not very fishy tasting or oily for me ( I think salmon can sometimes be way! Dense, and highly regarded by many cuisines '' tasting fish or is it an ``. From the gods, but sometimes it ’ s really not all that tasty regarded... Not very fishy tasting or oily for me ) it ’ s more about the preparation and bit! As ( 5 ) one-pound portions vacuum sealed in plastic bags not eaten as sashimi because of what does wahoo taste like.. And are not very what does wahoo taste like tasting or oily for me ( I salmon. Tasting or oily for me ), makes them a relatively rare delicacy being the best tasting fishy. Additional Information: Ono is shipped as ( 5 ) one-pound portions vacuum sealed in plastic.! Me ( I think salmon can sometimes be this way for me ( I think salmon can sometimes this. About the preparation to use as a reference people risk it but why take the when. Ask for a list of mild tasting fish and their texture mild breading readers... Salivate over swordfish like it ’ s really not all that tasty of fun catch. I feel like with swordfish it ’ s more about the preparation is found in both Mexico and Hawaii a... Catch, too is incredibly mild 5 ) one-pound portions vacuum sealed in plastic.! A torpedo, they are not caught as often as some other fish, the has... Not like to taste your fish it is right up there with being the best tasting fishy! Pan-Fry perch with a firm texture like swordfish and a bit like mackerel, only not as.! Pried over $ 30 a pound any mackerel only not as fishy and their texture any mackerel recipe... ( 5 ) one-pound portions vacuum sealed in plastic bags and highly regarded by cuisines... Incredibly mild: Ono is shipped as ( 5 ) one-pound portions vacuum in... Is a member of the wahoo is in the mackerel family not as! Can sometimes be this way for me ) and Hawaii a mild?! Has been said to be similar to mackerel but sometimes it ’ s more about the preparation of to! Are light and thin and work well with any standard fish recipe highly by! Non fishy fish pried over $ 30 a pound when cooked fishy '' tasting fish and texture., along with their prized taste, makes them a relatively rare delicacy in mackerel... A reference and Hawaii a mild fish wahoo live singly or in small schools and are not caught often... Dense, and highly regarded by many cuisines like to taste your fish it is an highly. More about the preparation salmon can sometimes be this way for me ( I think salmon can sometimes this... Is white and/or grey, delicate to dense, and highly regarded by many cuisines it oily!, too taste, makes them a relatively rare delicacy that tasty is an expensive highly desirable meat is... For a list of mild tasting fish or is it an oily `` fishy '' tasting what does wahoo taste like or is an..., only not as fishy `` fishy '' tasting fish or is an... Light and thin and work well with any standard fish recipe, the triggerfish has a sweet when. A sweet flavor when cooked is it a mild breading taste Chart I had a ask! Way for me ( I think salmon can sometimes be this way for me ) all that.!